Warning – If you are abstracting > 20m3/day you need an abstraction license

If you abstract more than 20m3 per of water/ day and were previously exempt from the need for an abstraction licence, you need to apply for a licence from the Environment Agency now as these exemptions cease on 1st January 2020. Previously exempt activities now requiring a licence include all forms of irrigation (including trickle and spray) and abstractions for managed wetland systems and water level management plans.  You can apply to the Environment Agency for a new abstraction licence at: Guidance on abstraction license.